NVIDIA and Epic Games to Integrate Ray Tracing, NVIDIA DLSS, and New NVIDIA Reflex Technology into Popular Battle Royale
NVIDIA and Epic Games have just announced that Fortnite, the popular Battle Royale with more than 350 million players around the world, will include Ray Tracing in real time, the DLSS technology based on artificial intelligence from the Californian company and Reflex to that the game presents visuals typical of the new generation of graphics.
This announcement was unveiled today as part of a special GeForce event where NVIDIA Founder and CEO Jensen Huang announced his new lineup of new GeForce RTX 30 series graphics cards.
NVIDIA RTX graphics cards are the only ones on the market with hardware support for ray tracing and AI. So players who own one of these will experience the new features in all Fortnite modes, as well as a new special map within the creative mode, called RTX Treasure Run, which has been specifically designed to show the capabilities of the ray. tracing.
Fortnite will have four ray-traced functions
- Ray-traced reflections: Recreate the way light reflects off shiny, metallic surfaces, including smooth natural mirrors like window glass and rougher surfaces like brushed metal.
- Ray-traced shadows: Precisely models the shadows on surfaces, improving the details and the contact of the same, this effect also corrects problems associated with traditional shadow techniques.
- Ray-traced global illumination: Calculate the world’s illumination with greater precision, fidelity, and clarity.
- Ray-traced ambient occlusion: The places where objects or surfaces meet, the light is occluded, creating subtle shadows that can highlight the details of those micro interiors with different shades of colors.
AI to improve performance in Fortnite
However, the Battle Royale will exploit NVIDIA DLSS, the patent that uses AI (artificial intelligence) to increase the speed of the frames per second and that nevertheless generates sharper images. It provides gamers with increased performance to maximize quality settings and output resolution.
GeForce Special Event https://t.co/t2TtpRd1nG
– NVIDIA GeForce (@NVIDIAGeForce) September 1, 2020
NVIDIA Reflex in Fortnite
The popular Battle Royale will be one of the first games to support NVIDIA Reflex, a technology that measures and reduces system latency, allowing gamers to improve responsiveness, increasing aiming accuracy.
System latency is the time it takes for a player to appear as pixels on the monitor and quantifies how the game feels. In games like Fortnite, the low latencies of NVIDIA Reflex dynamically reduce the times of this interface by up to 42 percent.
Fortnite RTX Treasure Run RTX the new map that highlights ray tracing
NVIDIA and Epic collaborated with some of Fortnite’s top content creators on the new map, which highlights these new technologies that are being added. This drops players at the entrance of a museum where they are challenged on a treasure hunt that highlights the different ray tracing effects.
This design will allow players to explore a hall of mirrors, a medieval castle, a jungle, a giant statue, and explore a science lab to discover the most treasures in the shortest time possible.
These new features will be available in Fortnite Chapter 2 – Season 4 for PC players shortly.